Leiden University Excellence Scholarships Programme 2021-2022 – How to Apply.
Leiden University Excellence Scholarships Programme is open for International Students. The scholarship allows Masters level program(s) in the field of All Subjects excluding LLM taught at Leiden University.
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarships programme (LExS) is offered for excellent Non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a Leiden University master’s degree programme. Also, it is for excellent students from all nationalities enrolling in a Master of Law Advanced Programme or MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy.
Leiden University Excellence Scholarships Programme is available to undertake Master’s level programs at Leiden University.
The following subject are available to study under this scholarship program.
- All Subjects
The LExS is awarded for the duration of the study programme. There are three available levels of awards:
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
The LExS is not a full scholarship. Non-EEA LExS recipients must still submit ‘proof of sufficient funds’ for their student visa/residence permit application.
Study programme requirements
- Applicants for all Master’s programme at Leiden University – with the exception of LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programmes at Leiden Law School.
- For non-EEA/non-EFTA* nationals who are applying for a Master’s programme at Leiden University. See additional notes for UK students below.
- For students of all nationalities applying for an LLM Advanced Studies programme, or the MSC in International Relations and Diplomacy.
- *EEA/EFTA: All EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland
Additional note for UK students
- If there is no deal specifying otherwise, after Brexit day, UK citizens will be required to pay the same tuition fee as non-EEA/non-EFTA students. If this occurs, UK students will become eligible for the LExS. With this in mind, UK nationals are now permitted to apply for the LExS for study programmes beginning in February 2021. However, in the event of a deal, LExS applications from UK nationals will be canceled. More information on Brexit can be found in the Brexit dossier.
Students must have achieved excellent study results in their previous education, this being relevant to the Master’s programme for which they are applying. As an indication, the student is amongst the top 10% of graduates in his/her previous study programme. Note: proof of ranking is not required – this information is pure to indicate the level of competitiveness.
Applicants must have a non-EEA/non-EFTA* passport and may not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (Studiefinanciering) – with the exception of students applying for the LLM Advanced Studies programmes or the MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy, for which no nationality restrictions apply.
*All EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland)
- You must first apply online for admissions to a Master’s programme at Leiden University. In your application, you must indicate clearly that you would like to apply for the LExS scholarship on the scholarship section and upload your letter of motivation for the LExS scholarship. The deadline for programmes starting in September is 1 February (exception – Advanced LLMs: 1 March) while programmes starting in February have a deadline of 1 October.
- It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the online application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should CLICK HERE to apply.
Application Deadline:1st February/ 1st October 2021.